Tuesday, April 17, 2012





My Second Interview went very well, a little bit tougher than the first
interview, but then I didn't expect it to be easier, so I did well, and
I was honest and was myself - which means that I showed up in
pants and presented myself as a man looking for employment

I'm comfortable with that - I've discussed with my therapist that
a large part of the gender problem is one of socialization, and
I will still maintain my ability to socialize as a woman in my private
life, and I've mentioned on my resume my membership in a LGBT
church, so I don't really feel I am hiding - I want to work, I want to
be effective and credible and I feel that that means that I use the
years of experience being a man and presenting myself as a man
(and taking advantage of some feminine perceptions that most
men don't possess) and do what it takes professionally to maximize
the money I can make now -and that means drawing a line between
work and after work -which is what I have always done, and
I'm certainly not turning my back on my trans friends or my
gay church or anything, it's just I just can't take it as far as
other people do, and I'm fine with that.

I must admit that in meeting a lot of  trans people, I see people
transitioning in jobs they've held for a long time, and people
transitioning then finding jobs but the only person I see transitioning
at about the same time she has taken on a new job is a very young,
very pretty woman who is working a pretty close to entry level
position -(I am still sort of in awe of her achievement,  it
is far beyond anything I will ever achieve, but I do feel there is a
huge difference between someone who is passable and someone
like myself, who can't be passable) - so from my research
very many trans people are unemployed and that is just not an
option -or have held a job for a long time or are in very
unstable employment situations in low paying jobs, and
none of these are options in my situation.

so the reality is I need a job and I need to get the best job I can
find, and that means leaving the dresses in the closet until after work
and after work I'll put on the dresses, I'll go flying again, I'll do I'll kinds
of fun hobbies

and I just got a call from a friend so I'm going to go out to a jam with
her and play some blues

No comments:

Post a Comment