Wednesday, March 28, 2012


Drag #3

Smash
my dog jumps away from the window startled and scared
the mirror lies shattered, the plastic moulding
torn clean off from the door
I pull in front of the bus and park the truck
Damn

a lady pulls alongside and rolls down her window
"Are you OK?"
"I'm fine"
"was he pulling out?"
"no, no, he was stopped, I just hit him"
"that's a beautiful dog you have, you really need to 
keep her in back. if the airbag had gone off it would
have killed her I'm sorry but it's true'
the car slowly pulls away

I take the insurance card from the visor
and reach for my purse. 
I take my man's wallet
from my woman's purse  
and find my drivers license

I get out of the truck and walk over the the bus,
the door is closed
the glare on the window makes it hard to see into the bus
I walk over to the drivers window I walk back to the door
it's closed -I'm confused - not from the accident 
I was wearing a seat belt and only going 10 mph,
I'm confused from the aftermath - of what to do next and
from being in a skirt and stuff and from going around
smashing into buses with my truck like some crazy person,
and from a big white bus with it's doors and windows closed

I walk over to the mirror lying in the road and pick it up,
I'm not worried about looking delicate,
I pick up the stupid mirror, walk back 
and dump it uncerimoniously  it in the bed of the pickup 
I walk back to the bus, 
the bus door is open

On the bus I give my license and insurance card to the driver
he calls in that he's been in an accident 
then we have to wait
it's procedure

soon the 7 or 8 people on the bus are antsy,
"let's go!" someone says 
"we have to wait" the driver says
"there'll be another bus coming along" 
"if you want to take that"
he opens the doors
the people walk off the bus
walk past me 
the crazy guy in a dress
and wait for the next bus to come along
it arrives shortly afterwards

"It was good that the people got off, they won't
claim whiplash" he explains, "these things
happen" he says seeing how nervous I am
we wait and talk a little and wait

I find out that he sees about two or three trans people
a day on his routes - I find that interesting
to each his own is his philosophy on that
we wait

The Metro Transit Police arrive and take my information
again,
they take pictures, fill out reports
They're nice to me but official
The supervisor arrives
and he takes pictures
of the rear view mirror
of the black scuffed dent
in the rear of the big white bus

they give me an accident report
and a citation for an expired license
I can't move the truck
someone has to come and get it 
or they'll tow it away

It can't be expired, because it isn't 
it was a snafu last time I went to 
get my license renewed but it's all
straightened out I have the letters at home
nobody believes me
but it's true 
but it doesn't matter 
I panic,
my parents don't drive, 
I don't have any friends
they're going to tow the truck
and I don't have any money to pay for that
I want to die
what a disaster

I go sit in the truck
with my dog

I remember my cell phone and tell them
there might be somebody I could call
I call a woman friend (who is trans) 
She has been supportive in the past, 
but we've drifted apart, 
we're still friendly,
but it feels like we've drifted apart, 
and I don't really go around asking for help
it's so awkward
and all
I'm pretty much a loner
and being isolated is how I get by
I just take it for granted
you don't ask for favors from people

but what else can I do
I call and she answers, she'll come pick me up
"Thanks" I say

I wait in the truck
and pat my dog
and play my dulcimer
and play my harmonica
and wait, 

I'm playing my harmonica 
with the door open,
the dog on a leash tied to the door
sitting on the sidewalk
Somehow I don't feel very sexy right now,
but I give her kiss on the cheek
(later, she's mad at me for being so cold,
what can I say? nothing, thanks, I'm sorry
nothing - I don't go around asking people for 
help, really, and all I really wanted right then was to
just get out of there


An officer gives her the keys,
I get in the passenger side,
she gets in the drivers side, starts the truck
and drives away.

No comments:

Post a Comment