Friday, December 10, 2010

I'll get off my soapbox now


I actually voted for McCain/Palin.  I was extremely conflicted about that vote, but I did
think McCain was an American Hero. I was profoundly wrong about that.
'nuff said, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Up here in Minnesota, we're about a half hour away from the start of a blizzard - they are
seriously predicting 10 - 30" of snow before this is over. (no, I'm not kidding). I had been
planning on going to the "Live at the Met" Opera at our local movie theater tomorrow. 
I doubt I will be able to go now, and I am very disappointed. But, YOU CAN STILL GO!



the Opera is broadcast LIVE from New York in HD on the big screen, and several movie
theaters around the country offer this special screening -it costs about $20.00 (because
it is so much better than that Hollywood garbage) and it's only once  month -so you have
to go tomorrow (Sat) or your SOL until next month.  "Don Carlo" really is about
5 hours long, and for us Verdi fans - oh, I want to go, I so want to go, but there
are several intermissions where you can watch behind the curtain as a vast crew of
stagehands set up multi-million dollar sets in a matter of minutes. The singing is of
course amazing, the music as literally written by a genius, the sets are staggering,
the acting is fantastic, the gowns are (hopefully) oh so pretty, there are subtitles,
so you will be able to figure out what's going on, and if you go -nobody will laugh
at you - they will think "look at that intelligent young man, choosing Verdi for his
first Opera, very sophisticated".  So if you could go and post a comment about
the show to poor Samantha, stuck up here in her igloo -that would be lovely.

if you're an American and you get this cultural reference:
I'm so sorry



PS - Jennifer thank you so much for your comments -I've got a hand drawn sketch
that I'm planning on colorizing and sending to you at Rachel's Haven (I won't be
able to post that one here -alas).  I won't get to it until Wed or Thu though, but I
do appreciate your taking the time to leave such nice comments.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my! *Blush* I was just reading your new post, thinking about how much fun it might be to go to that opera thing. (not anywhere near a showing though.) And wishing you the best with your blizzard. when I see you mention my name at the bottom!

    Blew my mind. and then i see you have done a hand drawn sketch? A HAND DRAWN SKETCH? Sweet! I look forward to seeing it. it really means a lot.

    I left the comments because I thought your blog and your work is coming along greatly and I think you deserve more comments on here. Just great work. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking out the my window, and it looks
    really cold and windy -I have to get
    up, take a shower and go shovel the driveway,
    then take my dog for a walk (rain or shine, you
    know)
    so thanks -your comments, my Pillsbury doughboy
    snow pants, and a cup of coffee is all that's
    keeping me warm out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I could help keep you warm. If I was there in person I probably would have gone with a more hands on approach... ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. well uh, giggle, blush, uh, giggle,
    "silly"

    ReplyDelete