Monday, December 27, 2010

A Cabin North of Duluth




So obviously I'm in a silly mood. I'll make some nice captions next time.
Christmas is over, wheh!  But it was really nice.I honestly enjoyed it this year. 
I gained 5 pounds in one week -I am not happy about that, but I was out
cross-country skiing today, and I was at the health club for an hour and a half.
It's a setback, but I'm getting in shape -what really scares me is bulking out. 
God, I hope not.  I applied for a part-time job and interviewed for another. 
The interview went extremely well, so let's hope.

You would not believe how beautiful it is outside today - there was ice on the
trees, and fresh white snow covering everything, clear blue skies, ice crystals
in the air -it was breathtaking.  Cross Country Skiing when is 10 deg or so
sounds psychotic until you try it.  I sort of agree with Stacy Wilderness when
she says she welcomes Winter. If  you could just turn it off,when you were thru.

I did these top two captions for Heather69 at Rachels Haven - I can be a little
hard to understand sometimes (no, seriously) - so the second one was trying to
poke a little fun at myself for writing really ambiguous stuff that no normal person
could make heads or tails of. The third one is based on a comment Jennifer
made at this site about water balloons.  So be careful if you do leave a comment,
I may make a caption out of it.

So I had an idea today,and rather than think this thru, I'm just going to give it a try:

A Cabin, North of Duluth
By field reporter Stacy Wilderness

It’s Winter here, at the cabin north of Duluth.  It’s official, we celebrated
the Solistice with a drum circle,  with chimes, with friends.  Now we settle
in for the long, cold, dark  Winter nights.  Which is good, I like Winter. 
Let me rephrase that.  I welcome Winter.  I am a poet.  I accept Winter will
come, I prepare for Winter.  Winter, and dark and stormy nights.  A poet has 
needs – I need Winter.  It is here. Welcome.
My husband (there is still a tingle when I say that, but it is all ready day 13
of our honeymoon).  My husband comes home expecting dinner to be ready,
and hands me the fish he’s caught.  I like to cook, but  I am still learning. 
It pleases me when he compliments my cooking.  I hate to clean fish. 
Poets do not clean fish.  Not if we have a choice.  It is hard to rhyme
“silver and ebony in living impasto….” With “Fuck this!” 
I’m his wife, that’s why I do it.  “by the choices you make”, as they say.  
Poet or Wife, I choose Wife, the one who cleans the cold grey  fish
that stare at you in Death.
The wind has picked up.  You can hear it, but the cabin is not drafty. 
There is a fire going.  It is warm by the fire.  Dan, my husband is sitting
by the fire waiting.  He is waiting for me to finish the dishes.  “No left-overs
tonight!”, I think and giggle.  I don’t think Poet’s are supposed to giggle. 
In fact I’m sure they don’t. Poet’s are never happy.  
Maybe I’m not really a poet….

As a Special Feature, Transformative-Honeymoons recently hired field reporter
Stacy Wilderness to provide live action reporting of her honeymoon, which took
place Wednesday, December 15th, at the Coppertop Church  (First United
Methodist) overlooking the lake in Duluth, MN.



PS- Hi Dara!  Hi Calie! as an ex-musician, I'm going to have to poke around some more
at your t-tunes site (caliesttunes.blogspot.com)

PPS-well I better start thinking about my "Happy New Year's" post, and yes, today's
post is very strange, even for me.

2 comments:

  1. hah! My water balloon comment. *giggle* put to great use! ^_^ Thanks very much, loved it!

    heh, I almost tried jello in a balloon once. I read it on a website, I wanted to feel at least the tug on my bra strap and the slight jiggle with each walk. *blush*

    The Stacy wilderness report was pretty fun. what made you think of doing something like that?

    hope the part time job comes through for you. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I don't know, Jello boobs sound very practical
    for a girl who's just out for a couple hours.
    If you brought along a straw in your purse,
    you'd have lunch ready, and you wouldn't need
    a plate. (yuck!)

    As far as Stacy Wilderness goes,
    I was writing something totally different, so I was composing a couple introductory sentences,
    then I went off on this tangent, threw out the
    sentences I'd written, shelved the idea I thought
    I was writing, and went with this
    Stacy Wilderness story instead. It's not
    ha, ha funny, but I thought it was
    fun(ny) too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete