Friday, November 11, 2011

So I went thru with it and entered the amateur drag contest,
it was a lot of fun and massively embarrassing. I didn't win
of course, but I didn't expect to, I just wanted to get up
on stage in a dress and play my harmonica and I did.

The night started at the Trans support group, and I was in
new blouse and slacks (boy pants technically) and boots
then I went over to the church for by volunteer thing for
a little bit then I changed into a dress (black with gold
sequin trim) and went over to the bar.  It was a little early
so I had a couple beers at the bar, and it was pretty empty
so when a guy/girl couple waved and motioned to come
over, I did, and when I started to say hi, the girl says
"Oh!...you're a guy.."  I took it in stride, but I thought
that was pretty cool, that I'm passing a little at least

I was supposed to enter at 9 and I didn't know that
so I hung out until about 9:30 then asked the bartender
about the entry, and spent the next half hour sort of
panicky, but the Nina, the hostess was cool about it
and there were only two other girls, so I did get to enter
and perform. It started at 10:30 and the other girls
had really pretty custom outfits and eleborate makeup
and were very serious about their routines, and of course
I've been dressing up for a month, and I really haven't
got the hang of everything yet, but I look sort of pretty
and I'm having fun with it -but I wasn't anything like
a serious competitor and they were, but they were nice
and I talked a little, but was kind of nervous and while
I was waiting (about an hour and a half all told) I talked
to a couple guys (one at a time of course)
who were sort of interested in me, and
I was sort of interested in them but it didn't really go
anywhere and I was nervous about performing and
really wanted to talk about music more than, well
you know what they wanted to talk about...

So while I'm waiting I go outside to the smoking
area and take out my harp and start to play it
and I bow out a reed! I think it was my lipstick
that caused the problem, but I have to then almost
literally run back to the parking garage get another
harmonica, and then run back, then I changed out
of my boots and put on the 4" pumps - they hurt
like Hell but they really make my legs look pretty.

The first performer was really good and very serious
about her performance and the second performer
was really good too, then I got up and did my
Koko Taylor song and the lip syncing part wasn't
as good as I hoped (I only practiced a couple hours
in the car driving around for work) but the harmonica
part went really well -I'm going to take Nina's advice
and come back with one of my own harmonica intrumentals
and just get up and play -that could go over real well
so I got through the first round and the small crowd and
performers enjoyed it then on to the suicide round
where you're given a song and you don't know what it
will be and you have to perform it and the other two
girls were just amazing - I was stunned that they had it all
coreographed and the lip syncing was excellent and,
I'm sitting there there laughing at myself going what did
I get myself into.  So I'm back stage a little nervous,
and I got some wardrobe help from the one contestant,
and then went on stage and I got the "all the single lady's"
song which I've heard about a dozen times before, and
it was a not very good performance, but some girls watching
saw me struggling so they got up and started dancing and I
was following their intructions, and I sort of got through it,
by trying to dance and smiling and generally feeling pretty
silly - but I got through it and didn't chicken out or run off stage
or quit in the middle of it and I looked ridiculous, but so what,
it was fun, and it was the price of admission for me to get
up and play my harmonica on stage - so they let me do my thing
and I support their contest -it's a fair deal
I desperately need to learn how to dance a little for the next
time I enter that's for sure.

So after the show I hung out for a bit and talked to a few people
a little then went home and was starting to feel pretty tired and
all day thursday I was dragging and it was an 11 hour -no breaks-
major frustration work day, so I got home and went to sleep,
oh yeah I forgot to mention I did go into a Target wednesday,
when I got stuck between two jobs with an hour to kill and bought
a couple bras and a blouse -dressed up as a boy, the cashier
seemed really indifferent about it, but not in a nice way, but so
what, I needed a C-cup at least if I'm going to enter a drag show
(I should probably go to DD for drag, I also ordered an A cup
online and I'm just about positive I can actually fill this bra
with "what God gave me", so it'll be like a training bra if I
do decide to go on hormones - but I might hold off on that
if I can pass, or even almost pass, without them)

No comments:

Post a Comment