Sunday, March 13, 2011

Going to church again


The video is just a picture of a dragonfly that landed on my finger. I was on a riverboat
cruise on the St Croix river last fall, with my parents and my dog, and this dragonfly lands
on my finger - at first I was trying to get it off, because I was trying to take pictures, then
I realized that the picture I was trying to take really weren't very interesting,
compared to the dragonfly.
I've never had a Dragonfly land on my finger in my life, before that, or after that. 
I don't place any great significance in this - I was just looking through my photos, and I
saw that, and remembered how I was happy that day. It was a good day. 
Things are tough right now, but their will be other good days.
It's just a matter of Faith and Patience -I really suck at Faith, and I'm worse at
Patience, but that's what it going to take right now to move forward, and renew
myself.

I'm not going to this church in a couple hours just to meet Gay guys.  It is a predominately
LGBT  church in Minneapolis, and the plain and simple truth is that that is how I view
myself - despite my lifelong unsuccess with this - I can not walk in a church that hates me,
or wants to change me in a way I can't change, or accepts me as long as I keep quiet about
what I pray for.  So I'm trying this new church and hopefully I find Faith, and Happiness,
and Peace, and a place to pray for the people in Japan, and Libya, and even on the
street of America. A place where I feel my Faith takes shape as something real.
Now if I meet some nice guy, I'm not going to complain, but that's not why I'm going,
honestly.

4 comments:

  1. This is the first time that I hear about such a church.
    But what I don't understand is that you still try to find a place in some pseudo christian community, while actually every aspect of christianity is turned against everything that doesn't yield to randomly declared sexual norms.

    How about you try to be free for once? Religious groups need you to support their right of existence. But you don't need them and their random rule interpretations.

    You don't want to walk into a church that hates you? - You don't have to.
    You want to find faith, happiness and peace? - All this lies outside of churches. Faith into yourself, happiness with a life that is not controled by invisible ghosts, peace outside of a community that watches every single of your steps ...

    And do you really think that praying helps after having to believe that a deity practically allowed such happenings?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you're saying and I used to think that way to a great extent, but being alone is
    really bad for you. An organized religion puts
    you in a community -it needs your support, but
    if in return it gives you support when you need
    it, that sounds fair -that is what a community
    should do -I do believe in a Deity, and am absolutly convinced of the existance of this
    "cosmic power". I have a lot of issues with
    Chritianity as a religion, but I was raised
    as a Christian before rejecting it, and being
    older, I dunno, it's what I believe, not
    rationally, but emotionally, inside me, it's
    what I believe -what can I say, but that being
    the case, being a part of a religious community
    that shares similar beliefs is a good thing,
    not alone, but in a group. I don't disagree
    with you, and when I was younger and stronger,
    I would have agreed with you. As far as prayer,
    if prayer accomplished anything, I wouldn't
    be the man I am today, believe me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is your decision. I personally grew up without ever being tainted by religious or even esoteric ideas and am quite happy about it.

    The fundaments of friendship consist of common interests and sympathy. And even if the interests change with the time, this part of the bond will be replaced by the being used to each other.
    Familybonds are simply about the family. Family members support each other because it is natural.

    The fundaments of religious communities are fairy tales. The holding together is strengthened by excluding outsiders (like unbelievers). In most of those communities, people are just so far interested into each other that they will be aware if anyone leaves the "right path". I experienced these dynamics a few times, when friends and family members collided with the hive ideas of "their" community.

    I don't want to preach or try to convince you to become an atheist or something like that. It is your decision and I shouldn't mind. I just wanted to share a few thoughts to prevent big disappointment.

    So: good luck, however you will decide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand what you're saying -and it's an
    interesting and largely accurate perspective,
    but I try things, usually I fail, or I don't get
    what I wanted out of the experience and move on-
    that's what my life is like -the playwriting, being a musician, being in the circus, even
    my college degree and professional career,
    they are all failures if you look at it that way.
    I'm so used to disappointment that it's part of
    my life - so I hope, I dream, that is who I am,
    I can't change that -there would be nothing left.
    So I'll give this a shot and hope it works out,
    if not I'll be diapointed, and move on.
    Thanks though -it's fun reading your comments.

    ReplyDelete